- Stroke kills almost 130,000 Americans each year-1 in every 18 deaths.
- On average, one American dies from stroke every 4 minutes.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes. One in four are recurrent strokes.
- Ischemic strokes happen when blood clots block the blood vessels to the brain. About 87% of all strokes are ischemic.
- Stroke costs the United States an estimated $54 billion each year. This total includes the cost of health care services, medications, and missed days of work.
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability, and is a leading cause of death for Americans.
- In 2009, 34% of people hospitalized for stroke were under the age of 65. Read more
David Dubats, Founder, Second Step, Inc.
Please visit www.secondstepinc.com to find out more about the results oriented, clinically proven Gait Harness System® (GHS) and NEW Gait Harness System® II (GHSII). Many severely injured individuals who are using the GHS, and who were unable to walk in the 5, 10 and 20 plus years post their injuries, are now beginning to stand and walk again for the first time. The GHS helps individuals regain healthy functioning after challenges due to spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, stroke, cerebellar degeneration, orthopedic, neurological, lower extremity amputation, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and other ambulation, gait and balance rehabilitation issues. The GHS is used world-wide in a broad spectrum of out-patient, in-patient, and home enriched environments.
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/walknews